Monday, September 19, 2011

Glue, Glitter, and Writing


Over the past week I’ve been thinking about ways to amp up my writing. Voodoo Dolls is just not moving forward at a pace I’m satisfied with. So… I’ve decided to turn my entire back bedroom into The French Quarter Room. I know, I know. I can’t do anything small. Yeah, I could just go to a writers’ conference or something, but this will be way cooler. Besides, it gives me an excuse to play with glitter. Lots and lots of glitter!

I spent the day a t Michael’s, which is essentially the West Coast version of Hoppy Lobby, picking out beads, candles, glitter, anything that reminded me of New Orleans. I found some cool stuff, but it was hard not to get distracted by all of the ghosts and goblins out for Halloween. Somehow I managed to stay focused, for the most part. I did pick up a couple of All Hallows Eve decorations for my yard. What can I say? I love the holidays. Any holiday.

So, the room has a long way to go before it will remind anyone of the famed Vieux Carré, but I’ll post pictures as soon as things start coming together- hopefully by the end of the week. I still have a lot of other things on my plate, and I can’t put actual writing on the backburner to decorate the room. Anyway, I think it will look pretty cool by the time I’m finished! If nothing else, I’ll at least think about the Quarter as I’m decorating, and that will definitely help my writing.

A word of warning for those attempting to do something of this magnitude: Don’t purchase paper mache masks, glitter, a skull candle, and underwear all at the same time. It will elicit many unfriendly, suspicious stares.

For Now,

PK Dawning

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the room comes together! It sounds awesome!

-Moe

P.K. Dawning said...

Thanks, Moe. It's sort of kind of is. I think it may take me a while to get everything the way I want. You know how picky I can be!