Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Name That Character Contest

Okay, so this is the first time I’ve done anything like this, but I’m stuck and thought this could be fun! After my insane writing session last night, I realized I needed another character, but I am so out of good names at this point. So, I’ve decided to hold a Name That Character contest. That’s right; I want you to name my next character! The winner will be decided at random- you know, the old names in the hat gig- and receive a $25 Amazon gift card. Or something of the equivalent. (I’m open to suggestions)
I’m looking for a cool name, something edgy but not too out there. I need first and last, please. I’ll give a brief background of the character, so y’all can come up with some good ones.

So here goes: He’s definitely an antagonist (the bad guy), seventeen, dark, and enigmatic- a senior at Jackson Hill Prep School. He’s kind of grunge, but not emo, and drives a black vintage Camaro. He’s also a clandestine member of the Secte Rouge- an ancient Voodoo sect trying to regain strength in New Orleans. Of course, Shay Abshire will have to defeat him… even if that means death. I can’t say for certain whether or not he lives or dies, but he definitely gets put through the wringer, so to speak. So if you need to vent your wrath on someone, this might be a fun way to do it. I promise I won’t let this scumbag of a character get off easily.

I’ll run this competition until Monday, August 22. The winner will be announced in that week’s blog post. I would like to have at least 20 entries, so it may run longer if necessary. To enter, simply post your suggestion in the comment section of my blog. Facebook won’t work, folks. To be considered for the contest your name must be on here.

Thanks for all the help! Hope y’all have fun with this. I look forward to reading your names. Good luck!

P.K. Dawning

39 comments:

Alex O'Rourke said...

I’ll start this thing off. I could use an Amazon gift card and a little retrospective justice. In grammar school, I was mercilessly picked on by a kid named Ambrose Delacroix. I wouldn’t mind reading about him getting his ass kicked by a Voodoo girl!

P.K. Dawning said...

Great name, Alex. Consider it in the hat! Thanks for playing!

Jeff Steward said...

I like Cayden McCloud

P.K. Dawning said...

Ooo, Jeff! I like that one too! In the hat! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Nathaniel Robertson

P.K. Dawning said...

Thanks for joining in, Anon. If your name is chosen, I will use your character name to announce it since I don't know yours. Good luck! :)

Joe said...

Ringling Tisenhiemer. Can we only submit one? I have more

Lanette said...

Drystan Crowley

P.K. Dawning said...

@Joe, yep. Just one. :)

@Lanette, I love that name! Thanks for joining in. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Donovan Pierce

P.K. Dawning said...

That's such a good one, Masako! Gotcha in the hat! Thanks and good luck!

massagegirl said...

Beau Azreal. Beau being a play on words for bonono - Sorcerers called botono can be summoned to put a hex on an adversary, or bo, using the malevolent power of a voodoo spirit.

Azreal - Angel of Death in the koran...

P.K. Dawning said...

Nice research, massagegirl. I like it. Thanks for stopping by my page and playing. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

So, should this be a Louisiana-ish name, or does anything go?

Anonymous said...

Drexal Kingsly..Phoebe

Anonymous said...

Max Papadopoulos! That's as edgy as they come!

P.K. Dawning said...

Anything goes! Doesn't have to be Southern, just cool!

Phoebe, glad you stopped by to play. Great name! Good luck!

And yes, that's pretty edgy, Anon. Good luck to you too!

Pat said...

Roan Everson

P.K. Dawning said...

Pat, that's a cool one! You're in the hat!

Amanda Harper said...

Gabriel Debray

Janelle Green said...

What about Ellis Kinsley?

Paul Brisbane said...

Rogan LaRoux

Jenny G said...

Love the idea of using your fans to help with your writer's block...How about Rankin De Noir

jeffcobb71 said...

andras rofocale

or

Brothas Rofocale

Unknown said...

Owen Nicholas Innocente - I have placed a lot of thought into this. I was not trying to be funny.

Anonymous said...

Nicholas (Nick) Kagen is may entry!

-Moe

ibeebarbie said...

Fun, fun, fun.........

Pondering -
Amos Tveit or Remie Gaston

P.K. Dawning said...

So many awesome names! Glad I am letting fate chose. It would be too hard to pick! Good luck to all! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of this. Will you be hosting any other contests for this book? Just wondering...

P.K. Dawning said...

As a matter of fact, yes, I will be! I'm kicking around a few ideas right now. Make sure to check out the blog regularly -or better yet, follow me- to find out about contests, keep up to date on the story, and more!

NightsideT said...

My momma say Andre LaRouche, I say Evan Copitate, but dony use mine if you dont like it, i would hate to have my name picked if you think it sucks

P.K. Dawning said...

Nightside, I like them both. Thanks for playing! Good luck!

Katy said...

Morgan Crosin......like I said spelling of the last name is up to you.

Helloooo said...

Chase Perot'

Helloooo said...

Chase Perot'

P.K. Dawning said...

Katy! I'm so glad you decided to play!

P.K. Dawning said...

Helloooo, thanks for joining in the search for my new character's name! I love it. Good luck!

Ginger said...

Bronson Becker. I didn't know I was missing out on the fun. Hope I'm not too late :)

P.K. Dawning said...

Nope, Ginger. You made it in time! Thanks for playing!